Babysitters & Childcare
Table of Contents
Babysitters usually take care of your child at your home for a few hours when you are busy or out on work. Finding the right babysitter to take care of your baby can be difficult and stressful. Knowing what qualities you need in a babysitter will help you to find the best person to take care of your child. The following information and tips can help you choose suitable babysitter.
Choosing A Babysitter
Ensure the babysitter you choose knows the basics of baby safety and first aid.
Make sure the babysitter knows:
- About infant/child CPR and first aid.
- Infants should not be placed on an adult bed of any kind.
- Infants should be placed on her/his back to sleep.
- The signs of illness in an infant including: changes in skin color, sweating, nausea or vomiting, and diarrhea.
- To keep all balloons or plastic items away from the baby.
- Baby should never be left alone in the bathtub.
- The sitter should always bring along the children should she or he need to leave the room, such as to answer the telephone or the doorbell.
- To keep the bathroom door closed and the toilet seat and lid down when not in use.
- Where the first aid supplies are kept.
- Where the fire extinguishers are kept and how they are used.
Take the following steps to help a new babysitter get to know you, your baby, and your home.
- Be sure to give the babysitter a tour of the house.
- Ensure that all windows have been closed and that the babysitter knows to keep them closed.
- Show the babysitter how to operate your child safety gates and where they go.
- Show the babysitter where the flashlights are located.
- Make sure that you have put away all sharp items including scissors, knives, and any other objects that can cause injury.
Choosing A Child Care Center
Many moms go back to work after having a baby and rely on child care for their children. Child Care Centers or Daycare Centers provide supervision and care of infants and young children during the daytime. All parents wish the best start for their children. It is important to choose a good child Care Center, as a quality child care can aid a child’s physical, emotional, intellectual, and social development. Finding quality child care that is affordable can be challenging. Many parents need affordable child day care where they know their children are safe and are being helped to grow and develop. The following tips will help you choose a quality Child Care Center.
Tips For Choosing A Quality Child Daycare Center
- Visit several child care centers. Visit the child care center more than once and stay as long as possible so you can get a good feel for what the care will be like for your child. Continue to visit even after you start using the home or center.
- Make sure the child care center is cheerful and not too quiet, which can mean not enough activity. Happy-sounding children mean they are involved and busy.
- Count the number of children in the group and the number of staff members caring for them. The fewer the number of children for each staff member, the more attention your child will get. Make sure there aren’t too many children.
- Adults who care for children need knowledge and experience. Ask about the background and experience of all staff that will have contact with your child in the home or center.
- Talk to other parents, whose children in in the child care center, to know more about the quality of care provided.