Health Care For Your Baby
Your prenatal care doctor monitors and takes care of your baby’s health inside the womb. But, your baby will need his/ her own doctor as soon as he/she emerges from the womb. You must look around and find a doctor for your baby several months before your due date. Also, you have to arrange health insurance before your child's birth. This saves a lot of time and gives you peace of mind as you near labor.
Insurance Cover For Your Baby's Health Care
To get regular checkups and important vaccines, your baby will need health insurance. Some women have health insurance through an employer or are able to buy it on their own. If you have health insurance, find out how to add your new baby to your policy. You also should find out which doctors will work with your plan and what types of care are covered by your policy. Find out how much you have to pay for visits.
Pick A Doctor For Your Baby
Picking an appropriate doctor for your baby is one of the most important things you need to do before giving birth. Every baby needs regular checkups, vaccines, and medical care if he/she gets sick. So pick a doctor to take care of your baby before giving birth.
Doctors that care for babies and children include:
- Family physicians
- Pediatric nurse practitioners
- Medical offices with pediatric nurse practitioners and doctors on staff
To help you pick a doctor for your baby:
- Contact your health insurance company for a list of doctors covered under your plan
- Find out where they trained and how long they've been in practice. Some insurance companies and hospitals have this information
- Request an interview with the doctors you like best
- Find out about their office hours and how they handle concerns and emergencies after office hours
- Find out who covers for the doctor when he/she is not available
- Get recommendations from other patients
If you deliver at a hospital where your baby's doctor normally sees patients, she will see the baby right after the delivery. If not, a pediatrician on staff at the hospital should see your baby right after the birth. Then you can call your baby's doctor to schedule a visit a few days after birth. Remember to get your baby's medical records before leaving the hospital. Your baby's doctor will need them.