17 Weeks Pregnant
How Big Is My Baby At 17 Weeks Pregnant?
Your baby starts storing body fat and is about the size of a pomegranate. The baby is about 5.1 inches long and weighs about 4.94 ounces.
Baby Development At 17 Weeks Pregnant:
- Head is getting proportionate with rest of the body as limbs get longer.
- The baby’s body is coated with fine, thin, and soft hair called lanugo.
- Eyes start developing, but the eyelids remain closed.
- The baby’s mouth can open and shut.
- The lungs have started exhaling amniotic fluid.
- Fingernails and toenails are growing.
- The baby now has distinct and unique fingerprints.
- The bone tissue in the feet begins to harden.
17 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms
Weight Gain: By this week you would have gained 5-10 pounds. Gaining 1-2 pounds per week is normal in the second semester.
Headaches: Headaches are common during pregnancy. Headaches are caused by surge of pregnancy hormones. Hunger, dehydration, lack of sleep, and stress can also cause headaches. Practicing some relaxing techniques will help you deal with common headaches. Headaches can be a sign of preeclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy).Take acetaminophen (Tylenol) and take rest to get relief. If your headache doesn’t go away or gets worse even after taking the medicine and rest, call your doctor.
Varicose Veins: You might notice visible veins crisscrossing your breasts, abdominal area, and legs. This is a symptom of varicose veins and is common during pregnancy. Varicose veins are swelling and enlarged veins mostly in the lower legs and feet. Increased blood volume during pregnancy causes veins to swell and enlarge. Pressure exerted by the uterus on the large veins behind it causes the blood to slow in its return to the heart. These things cause varicose veins. Changing positions often, propping your legs, getting plenty of exercise, and avoiding tight clothes and shoes can help.
Heartburn & Indigestion: Heartburn occurs when stomach acids move upwards to the esophagus. This happens due to relaxation of the valve between the stomach and esophagus. Indigestion occurs due to relaxed digestive system caused by pregnancy hormones.
Nasal Congestion: Most of the pregnant women experience nosebleeds and nasal stuffiness during pregnancy. They are caused by the increased amount of blood in your body and hormones acting on the tissues of your nose. It is normal at this stage of pregnancy.
Bleeding Gums: If you have you noticed your gums bleeding after brushing, it could be pregnancy gingivitis. Pregnancy hormones can make your teeth more vulnerable to plaque, leaving you with swollen, bleeding gums.
Increased Appetite: Your appetite increases a lot in this week. You will feel a lot hungrier because your baby is growing and demands more nourishment.
Stretch Marks: Getting some stretch marks starting this week is common. This happens because of expanding uterus and your increased weight.
Backache: Hormonal changes, growing size of the breasts, and the pressure exerted by the baby can cause backache. Doing low-impact exercise and stretching your body regularly can help.
Frequent Urination: You may need to pee frequently because of hormones and extra pressure exerted by the uterus on the bladder.
17 Weeks Pregnant: Tips For A Healthy Pregnancy
- Talk with your partner about finding out the gender of your baby.
- Continue to follow good prenatal habits like eating healthy food and taking folic acid and prenatal vitamins daily.
- Wear breathable loose clothes and a supportive bra to feel comfortable.
- Include healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables, lean meat, cereals, and dairy products in your diet.
- Eat small meals or healthy snacks at regular intervals for better digestion and to prevent heartburn.
- Keep yourself adequately hydrated by drinking a lot of water.
- Take plenty of rest and sleep at least 8 hours a day.
- Avoid long and strenuous physical activity, exercises involving jerky or sudden movements.
- Don’t take any medication or herb without your doctor’s clearance.
- Spend time or keep in touch with family, friends, and other loved ones and share your feelings. This will help you to cope with stress and anxiety and stay calm and relaxed.